Fuel Cost

>>\Last time I bought gasoline in Holland or the UK, it cost me roughly
three times what I pay for it here in San Jose, CA. How much of that
might be tax and how much the cost of the gasoline itself<<

UK petrol is currently about 71.9p for a litre of 95RON unleaded
fuel, which is about US$4.17 for a US gallon. Of that cost about
86% is tax, and the government have promised to raise fuel
duty at 6% ABOVE the rate of inflation.

Roughly 11% of the total government income in the UK comes
from motoring taxes (only 30% comes from income taxes),
and only about 17.5% of the money which is collected is
spent back on transport (and that includes the large subsidies
paid to bus companies).

All the best

Keith