Artisanal Alfas and the paradigm shift

In AD7-960 Richard Bies commented on the "paradigm shift, in which 'hand
made' is switching from denoting the finest of fit, to relatively crude", and
mentioned "Recall the image of the craftsman at his table with micrometer and
calipers, hand fitting parts for the Alfa engine...."

In AD7-961 Andy Kress replied, asking for contemporaneous comparisons,
writing "when the Alfa mechanic was standing at his bench with his
micrometer, hand files, reamers, and balance - what were the other
manufacturers doing?  My guess is that Alfa's manufacturing processes, and
people were state of the art - as good as or better than you could buy
anywhere."

It may be coincidence, but I suspect that Bies' image of the craftsman was
derived, perhaps indirectly, from an essay I wrote in the early nineties for
Fred DiMatteo's 'Velocissima', the AONE newsletter, which had been reprinted
in various chapter newsletters. It was a rumination on "the shift from
artisan production - craft production, to many - to full industrial
production, which happened later in Italy than in this country or in northern
Europe", and was titled "Artisanal Alfas".  I had gone from how we sometimes
romanticize 'craft' production - Benvenuto Cellini and all that -, to a photo
taken in the thirties in the Necchi sewing machine factory - "rows of
grinders with very rudimentary safety guards, bins of castings, a few hanging
light-fixtures, and the workers with goggles for their eyes and caps or
kerchiefs for their hair, mostly women, ragged, dirty, and barefoot on the
dirt floor with rough plank walkways, scratching their way from the
seventeenth century into the twentieth, the hard way, in a country which had
missed out on the industrial revolution while it was happening in the north"
to a post-war photo "in the newest book on my Alfa shelf, which stopped me
the way the one of the Necchi shop did. There is a skinny worker in shabby
and very dirty coveralls, at a very battered wooden workbench with what
appears to be a grocer's scale, two vices, a tray holding six pistons and six
connecting rods, two hammers, some files, taps, reamers, and a dial
indicator. He is building an engine for a 6C 2500, in 1946, reaming piston
pin bushings one by one, balancing the reciprocating parts with the scale and
a file. 'All hand made, by skilled craftsmen. They don't build them like that
any more' some will say, with nostalgia. They sure don't."

With the opening, much later, of the new plant at Arese one could argue that,
as Andy says, "Alfa's manufacturing processes, and people were state of the
art - as good as or better than you could buy anywhere" but that was not the
case in 1946 when the workers at Portello were scrabbling out of the debris
of wartime destruction to resume car production, nor (most assuredly) was it
the case when the first 750 Sprints were coming out of Bertone's shop.

Cordially,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.