Re: Half the engine... twice the car

Scott, as usual, a marvelous piece of writing. I think the German GP
you referred to was 1935. I also heard that the Alfa in question sold
at auction for $10 Mil a few years back. Nuvolari did drive like a
man possessed, but he had done that his whole career. Let's not forget
that Fangio once drove a car in the Mille Miglia with one front wheel
doing a dance that resembled the Charleston. I believe he made it to
the finish, but lost a few places. The fact that he continued at all
on such dangerous roads under such conditions further testifies to the
heroism he had at his command. Both are immortal icons to the ability
of man and machine to perform miracles, and oh yes, to Alfa Romeo.