Personalised plates

Here in the U.K. we have personalised plates, but they have to be genuine=

registration numbers in the same format that you would normally expect to=

find, i.e ABC123, 123ABC, ABC123A, A123ABC etc.  You can't just choose a
word and put it on your car as long as nobody else has got it, you have t=
go about finding the number you want, which may mean buying another car
which bears your desired number ,and paying 80 pounds to have it
transferred.  There is a thriving market in registration numbers with som=
being worth many thousands of pounds.  More recently the government has
caught on to the idea of making money by selling registration numbers (wh=
it took them so long is a mystery to me), so acquiring a personalised
number is now easier.

Some years ago I found '69 GTV' which has been on my 1969 1750 GTV for th=
past 11 years, and then about 5 years ago I found quite by chance a rusty=

old Vauxhall Cavalier (Small Chevrolet in USA?) with 'B69GTV' ('B' stands=

for 'Bertone').  I bought the car on the spot and this number is currentl=
on a'retention certificate'.

I've seen a few other Alfa registrations here such as B1 4LFA, ALF4 80Y,
164ALF, A1 5PYD and various 'GTV' numbers, but I wouldn't swap 69GTV for
any of them.

Chris Sweetapple
Highwood Motor Company
Swansea, U.K.