RE: Why an Alfa?

In a message dated 8/11/99 9:08:50 AM, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<RE: Why an Alfa?>>

It's funny, I've owned alfas now for almost half my living years and finally
sold my last two a 74 GTV  and a 93 Spider Veloce to fund my life long dream
of a Ferrari purchase. So out go the two Alfas and in comes a drop dead
gorgeous blue 308 GTSi QV. And I feel like an idiot. Why? The first bill for
the 30,000 mile service was over $2700, that was for a cam belt change and
valve adjustment, and it still needs tune up stuff like plug wires, repack CV
joints etc...

I work in a job where I do quite well, but on my way to work this morning the
idle started surging and the air conditioning control strated to
malfunction... The control is a little over $700.

Just before I sold my Alfa I did a huge service on it where I even replaced
the brake rotors, not because it needed them but because I caught them on a
good sale and as an autocross car I figured what the heck. I can't even
imagine doing that now. Now I feel like i'm driving a pocket book destroying
time bomb.

I guess the whole point of this is: why an alfa? Because they're an absolute
blast to run to redline, look great as all get out, are basically cheap to
repair, insure etc... and someone on a modest salary can truly own an Italian
throughbred.

I want my Alfas back and I broke my two year olds heart when I sold the
Spider...

Ben