re: Why an Alfa?

I too decided to jump on the bandwagon of putting pen to paper on why
Alfas....

My first exposure to Alfas was my first year at university.  One of my
classmates had a mid-70s Sports Sedan (Alfetta) that I got to drive
home one night 'cause he was too drunk (ah, the joy of being young dumb
and ignorant) to drive.  This little car had spunk - it was fun and it
sounded pretty good!  Later that year the same friend decided to ride
his bicycle from San Diego to Los Angeles one weekend.  I volunteered
to be in charge of logistics... ie drive up and meet them at his
parents house.  So I was given the keys to a rather non-descript little
blue sedan - a 1969 Berlina.  As I got used to the car driving up the
I5 (a freeway that goes from Mexico to Canada - or close enough)I
started pushing it to see what it could do.  As I raced a guy in a 280Z
(I think - this was 1983)I glanced down at the speedo and read 110mph.
Wow!! Where did that come from?  This little non-descript car was no
longer just a little sedan, but something to respect.  But the day got
better.... as I pulled into my friend's parent's house driveway, the
garage door was open... his father was an Alfa-nut (ahem, enthusiast) -
Each of his children (4 or 5) were given there own GTVs (the Bertone
105 series) when they started driving, there was a beautiful burgandy
GTV tricked out for racing and a couple of sedans, including (I think)
an Alfa 90.

When it came time to look for a car the next year I knew what I
wanted... an Alfa!  Unfortunately, the first one I looked at - an early
Alfetta was a poor example, so I waited.... In 1989 I bought my first
new car - a 1989 Milano Gold.  I have never looked back. Since then I
have owned two GTVs (1974 and the current 1969) and on my 2nd 1989
Milano Gold.  I have had two totalled out from under me, the 1974 GTV
and the first Milano (not my fault - honestly) - my respect for the GTV
unibody design skyrocketed after being hit head on by a Volvo - the car
was totaled (though I salvaged all the goodies - high performance
engine etc) but I was unhurt.

Why do I keep driving them? Because I love the sound of the engines as
you down shift and punch it to pass, the  quirky design/ergonomics of
the Milano/75, the fact that in the 10 years I have been owning Alfas,
I have only been stranded twice (clutch shear pin on the Milano and a
thrown rod on the GTV), the commraderie of fellow Alfisti, the history
of the marque, and the looks and nods the cars get from people in the
know - but most of all because nothing puts a smile on my face faster
than a spirited drive in any of my Alfas!!!

Although Alfa left the US nearly four years ago, I have had the
opportunity to drive some of the cars we didn't get here - the 33, the
145, and the 155 (while living in London I always rented Alfas). I
think that it is time for another jaunt across the pond to drive some
of the current generation of Alfas out there. So if some kind soul can
find me an excuse to visit, my bags are packed and I am ready to go!

Thank you for indulging me!   :-)

John Wright
San Francisco
1969 GTV 1750