86 Spider questions

Marcus Banasik wrote:

// The speedometer intermittantly works.  Has anyone ever worked on
troubleshooting a
speedometer?  What is the process?  Is it relatively easy?  What do you
suggest?//

When I bought my 91 Spider, the speedometer was intermittant, at best.  When
I checked the cable that runs from the transmission to the sender located on
the drivers side- It looked like the exhaust had melted part of the cable
housing.  A replacement cable did the trick.  Yours could be many things.
Start out with a visual inspection of the cable- it could be the cable,
sender unit or even the gage.  The fact that it's intermitent makes me think
it's the cable.

//Additional issues are the middle muffler, rear trailing arm bushing, and
u-joint.  Does anyone have any advice on these issues as well?//

Nothing here is particularly hard to fix.  Any of the mailorder houses can
provide replacement parts- I think Alfa Bill also has a deal on bushings
from Mastro.  Good luck.

Oscar
91 Spider