164 actually running hot

> From: ryan <rkundrat@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: 164 hot...
>
> >I vote to pull gauges out of all cars and install a simple red light.
>
> I'm all for this, but a couple questions:
>
> My 164S w/51k miles runs around the 194 mark on the highway and when it
> isn't moving (stoplights, navigating crowded parking lots, etc.) it moves
> up to the 231 mark.

This is a 164 with a mechanical problem. Sounds like circulation.

>         -What are the things that I should check on the stock cooling
> system to keep it from heating up so much under slow conditions?

First, confirm coolant level is correct, and air is bled from the
system. It sounds as though your thermostat is working, but could be
suspect, but they usually fail opened or closed. Most 164 cooling system
problems stem from the now 8+ year old radiator beginning to clog from
water crud and residue. Check for leaves, small animals :o) and general
dirt in the fins of the radiator and condenser or any other obstruction.
If all is clean and clear, then, based on a number of 164s I've seen in
the shop, I would remove the radiator and have a good radiator shop
clean it and "rod" it out. This has solved most 164 overheating issues.
make sure your fan is engaging and if it is delayed, replace the
thermosensor on the drivers side of the radiator.(USA) ~$20 OEM Be sure
to confirm that the factory suggested low speed setting has been
bypassed. See tech bulletins on CarDisc.
This makes the fan run only on high speed which is much better for
cooling and creates lower head pressure for the a/c system as well.
Worst case, if the radiator is beyond hope, is to replace the radiator,
which is $290 list price.

Normal operating range for the 164 is 185-215 degrees F. If the needle
goes over the larger center mark between the 175 and 250, I'd watch it
closely. Be careful not to overheat (steam/gusher etc.) the motor as
head gaskets can be compromised.

> My "simple red light" seems to come on regardless of engine temp.  Before I
> even reach normal operating temp it will come on and then go off a few
> minutes later.  When the engine gets up to that 231 mark it isn't on though.
>         -What causes this?

This is caused by the sending unit for the light failing.

AlfaBill
http://mastroalfa.com/parts.htm