164 transmission noise.

Hi all,

It seems that my 1990 164 manual trans has developed the input shaft
bearing noise.

Symptoms;
Whirring noises from engine area, when car is at idle and clutch
released, when driving in low gear (clutch engaged/not engaged) as long
as car is in gear.
Change in pitch of noise most noticeable on downshifting from 3rd to 2nd
gear, also does it from 2nd to 1st as long as car is still moving.

Am I right, is this input shaft bearing noise?  The mention in the FAQ
refers to a clicking noise.

How long can I drive the car with this problem, is this likely to cause
catastrophic failure of the gearbox ( I've had a 33 which self
destructed this way once).

I'll assume that I need to get it fixed, what else should be done?  The
things I have in mind are;
Clutch & throw out bearing.
Check all syncros (I've owned too many Alfettas and 75's)
Strut bearings?
A-arm bushes?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers