re: Electric fan and rad switch for 1750

The best place to mount the thermostat for an electric cooling fan is in
the bottom tank of the radiator, as close as possible to the connection for
the lower hose.  For my GTV, I had a radiator shop braze on a fitting to
take a thermostatic switch from a VW or FIAT (same size), which is cheap,
easy to find locally, and available with several cut-in temperatures.  The
only caveat about mounting the switch is that you need to be check for
interference with the sheet metal lip to the rear of the radiator.  On my
car, I positioned the switch to line up with a semicircular cutout in this
lip that looks like it was put there for just that purpose.  If that
location doesn't suit, you may need to do some trimming.

Just about any fan should be adequate for a 1750 GTV.  I've seen
conversions done with used fans from Alfettas, GTV6s, Fiats, and VWs and
new ones from JC Whitney and Pep Boys.  12" is the biggest size that will
fit, but a smaller one would probably do the job.  It's easiest to mount
the fan in front of the radiator, however, so you either need to get a
"pusher" fan, or reconfigure a puller to run backwards.  I got a *very*
powerful 12" pusher fan from Racer Wholesale (www.racerwholesale.com).  It
works great, but it's probably more fan than the car really needs.  The
temperature never goes above 175 F, but if I'd known how seldom the fan
would come on I might have bought a cheaper one.

Dana Loomis