re: buying a spider

> From: "jonathan l" <joel1750@domain.elided>
> Subject: buying a spider

> I have plans to buy a spider and wonder what to look for. Any advise will be
> appreciated.

> Thank you

> Joe

Hi Joe et all,

here is some exceropts from a recent conversation I had with a local
perspective Spider buyer in Seattle, I am sure others will chime in with
even more advice...

- --must be driven regularly. Alfa's do not deal well with sitting.

- --for top dollar, must be garaged or car covered. Stored outside and not
driven equals rust, electrical problems etc. (water pools and muck gets in
places it shouldn't... you get rust)

- --must be an original under 100K miles, not a pedal replacement job.

- --check repair records, SPICA pump replacement, alternator, fuel pump etc.

- --If they do not have documentation for the mileage check the emissions test
report, and the title should have the miles on it. Over 100,000 miles can
mean that if the SPICA pump has not been replaced you'll probably need to do
that soon.

- --Ask that they NOT start the car before you get there and when you get
there, open the hood and feel the motor and the exhaust. If it's warm, tell
them you'll go get some coffee and be back in a few hours.

- --Also, drive the car when it's cold. See if the gears all shift nicely and
make sure it doesn't stumble or spit or backfire. All of these are bad and
suggest it is in need or repairs (SPICA pumps are not for the faint of
heart... I'm putting one on my 81 right now).

- ---Tune up records: Was it maintained by a reputable Alfa repair shop? Did
the owner maintain it? if so, does he/she have records indicating when
things like when the oil was changed, spark plugs and that sort of thing.

- --Also, look for excessive amount of oil in and around the engine
compartment and on the hood, this will point to an older motor that may be
in need of repair. Do not be afraid of a little oil build up, this is normal
for an all aluminum motor. Things need to be tightened a little bit every
month or so. (hey, it's a labor of love!)

- ---Rust spots starting to show along the bottom of the body under the door,
in front of the door down low and behind the door down low. Lift the floor
mats and look there too. and in the trunk under the spare tire. See any
rust... walk away unless you're paying minimum dollar or have an autobody
repair shop in the family. Rust us hard to fix and has to cut out to cured.

- --Another good thing to do is look down the side of the car, if you see any
ripples or abnormalities, then apply a refrigerator magnet to those areas.
Bondo is OK if it used as a smoother, so a kitchen magnet should still stick
even if it has been hit. The most likely place for the old 'Bondo fill' is
in the center of the nose. They all seem to get hit there.

- --If you see anything you don't like make em bring that price down!

That's my short and sweet on buying a used Alfa, Spider or no. These mainly
apply to Spiders and GTV's. Later model Alfa's have different things to
worry about!

- --
Kim Christiansen
NWARC
84 GTV6  155,000 and still pulls all the way to 6500 RPM!
81 Spider  Almost got that SPICA pump working....
75 Spider (my original Alfa love)