red light

Dear digesters,
sorry to bug you with this but it has been driving me crazy.
My + ground sys does not charge.
the Bosh generator is polarized,, all the connections are rights and sound, the dash light just will not extinguish.
I have a resistor (or is a condeser) that was stuck/ground to the inner fender on one the regulator (Lucas) mounting screws. It looks like a small metal cylinder, 7 mm diameter, 45 mm long, no writing on it.
It has a very short wire, was not connected then.  What is this?  Should I use it? What for?
Thanks and best regards, Andrea
PS, man this car goes like stink, must be the light weight.