Re: Broken pivot pin - Milano

On Sat, Jul 31, 1999, 4:53:17 PM GMT Ralph Moorhouse <ralphmo@domain.elided> wrote:

>Well it turned out that the clutch problem I posted last week was a broken
>pivot pin (Symptoms - sudden limited clutch movement - fortunately only had
>to shift 3 or 4 times before I got home).  That's the good news!!  The BAD
>news is that it broke off flush with the housing, i.e behind the
>shoulder!!!!  This increases the magnitude of the fix-it, many-fold.
>
>Anyone else had this happen?  I see no alternative but to remove the front
>of the trans/clutch & try use a thread extractor to remove the remains of
>the thread.  Any thoughts?
>
>BTW the PO's mechanic had made 5 notches in the pivot pin shoulder (i.e.
>the flat that rests against the rear housing when threaded in),  I wonder
>if these contributed to the failure by reducing the surface area that
>stabilizes the pin?

The five notches are likely due to the previous replacement technique. The technique likely used was to use a cape chisel to tighten (or loosen) the pivot stud into the housing. I have used this technique successfully. If you are unsure of how to execute this procedure, let me know.

Michael Hazarian
Rx Productions