dash board refinishing

Been working on refinishing the mahogany veneer  on my dash.  cleaned up
pretty well, restained to look pretty close to the the unbleached portions of
the veneer - so far so good.
Problem is in the varnishing - I seem to have a technique problem.  Selected
semi gloss helmsman varnish.  Have sanded & steel wooled to a smooooth
surface. put the varnish on - spray or brush - I get many teeny tiney bubbles
in the dried coat.  Have sanded & reapplied about 5 coats now, so I have a
decent base of varnish.  If I can just get one smmoth, clear coat on these
pieces, I am done, and can reassemble & install this dash !!    Any
suggestions on how to avoid these thangs?
thanks
Andy

End of alfa-digest V7 #943