Searching for short in 87 Spider

Brad Meilink relates a frustrating problem searching for a short.

> I have an 87 Spider Quad that suddenly developed an
>  electrical fault in the #4 fuse circuit, which handles the electric
mirrors,
>  the clock, and the brake lights.
>  Anyway, I have disconnected both mirror motors, the switch at the brake
>  pedal, the whole tail light pigtail and I'm still showing a short.  I
>  haven't gotten as far as to disconnect the mirror control, too far into the
>  console.

The problem you face appears to be that one of the wires is shorted, not the
devices themselves. Determining which one can be a challenge. (I believe
there is a "short finder" tool you can get, but I don't know where or for how
much.)

One way is to check for continuity with ground at the ends of the wires on
the business ends (at the mirror, clock, etc.) However, since each of the
circuits comes together at the fuse block, all lines will show a short. This
means that you may have to disconnected each of the wires exiting the #4
fuse, and check each of the wires for the short. This may enable you to
isolate the problem circuit, so that you can reconnect the others. If it
isn't the brake light circuit, then you are back on the road, and you can
search for the short (or replace the wire entirely) on the faulty circuit at
your leisure.

Lots of luck, and I hope you find the problem soon.

Bob Rice
86 Spider