Re: alfa-digest V7 #938

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<  The UK price for a V6 156 works ou=
 at around
 US$36000 and a 3L 166 at about US46000 . How many cars would Alfa sell at=

 that
 price, or even more once shipping and market customisation is added? >>

Last year we did a lire-US dollar calculation on a 156 1.8 and it came out to
about US $20K.  But even at US $36K, the 156 wouldn't be out of line
price-wise, nor would the 166 at around US $45 - 50K.  The key is what
they're selling against.  If they were selling against BMW and Mercedes, both
trying hard to capture more of the lower end (called "near luxury segment in
the US) of the market where they see potential for current and repeat sales,
the Alfas would be both cheaper and highly competitive, if not much nicer
(certainly more comfortable!).

In fact, I believe the issue has never really been price in the USA; I think
Alfas would probably have sold even better if they were 50% more expensive --
although not to the same people.  Please try to remember that in the USA the
automobile is also a statement about yourself, and people want others to
know, by their choice of car, that they see themselves as affluent, or smart,
or sophisticated, or above it all.  Also keep in mind that cars of any type,
as a % of new vehicles sold, are a dwindling segment.  In Europe, cars hold a
higher % of the "pleasure" (private) vehicle market.  Here, dey is inta
trucks and SUVs and Jeeps, whee-harw!

Charlie
Los Angeles, CA, USA