Re: alfa-digest V7 #937

Lewis,
since I just did the conversion to Bosh I offer my modest opinion.
The Lucas components are inferior in quality but they are the same in principle, so if you keep the system in top shape it will work as well.  As an aside I have blown many a Bosh black coils in the past, never a Lucas.  Still I think the best coil is Bosh blue, why?  Because my mother told me so.
I switched to Bosh generator because the Lucas unit requires a an extra support on the block and my 1600 is of  the 105 series, thus does not have it.  I did not replace the regulator, but as someone said this may be a problem later.  A lucas regulator set my Land Rover on fire a few years ago.  So far I cannot get them to charge but I think the components can be interchanged and mixed and matched.
GROUND GROUND<>GROUND.
I stayed with + ground that is better in theory, better spark, less corrosion, but I may change to - ground since I cannot even run a radar detector.  Not that I speed but I am down to -12 points on my license.
But as Bill said, mind the ground.  Try putting juniper cables between the ground post on your battery and the starter, you will see incredible difference in the speed of the starter.
I run a ground cable sort of like Bill suggest. The only difference is that it goes from the starter mounting bolt to the the bolt on the trunk floor and the same bolt carries an other piece of wire to the battery. Just so it looks stock.  Bolts are new, ends are crimped and soldered, the gage I use is 8 twisted wire.
I also run a ground to each and every peripheral services including both tail lights and the ground wire is soldered to each bulb holder, both head lights, horns, heater fan, radio, wipers and my pace maker.
Every connection is soldered and heat tube shrank and electrical grease protected.
I enjoy doing things to the best of my modest abilities, it was fun to work on the Giulietta and I defy anybody to see any of the new wires without dismantling half the car.
Ohm is the enemy, Resistance is the obstacle, take that to your Lotus driving friends.
Thanks to all that sent replays and opinions about the generator problem I first referred to.
Regards, Andrea
I am MAR ( half man half car, I am my own hobby)

End of alfa-digest V7 #938