Re: US "rules"

In a message dated 8/2/99 22:22:02 EST, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 It won't happen.  Without local design rules, it's not possible to hide the
 protection of domestic manufacturers with the shields of non-tariff
 barriers.  The reason why Alfa Romeo cars are not available in the US is
 because the US government ensures that it is unprofitable for FIAT to
 attempt to sell them. >>

With all due respect, this statement cannot hold water. Import penetration in
the US is about 30-35%, and that hardly smacks of protectionism. In fact, no
country on earth allows foreign goods such easy access to it's domestic
market, even at the expense of hundreds of thousands of workers. In fact, we
should retaliate in kind, particularly to our Japanese "allies."  FIAT,
Maserati, and Alfa all left because of one reason, and that was their
inability to build a car most Americans would want to live with.