New car 164 Questions

Steve with the 164TS in Cumbria wrote:

>Not sure about this my TS has a Supersprint exhaust with a slight boom at
>about 3k, but so did the original system.

I'm used to loud exhausts, but this one actually *hurt* my ears - and I'm
already half deaf!

><<Major problem:  The air flow sensor (MAF?) is sticky.  Occasionally
>when starting from cold (like today), it will make the engine run very
>lean, and die, unless you keep revving it.  Very embarrassing, when at
>the lights, the engine kept dying as I was turning.
>- - could it be the idle control valve?   Problems with the air flow sensor
>seemed to be more    of hesitation,  rather than engine dying.)>>
>
>Sounds like the idle control valve or the cold start system.

Yes, I had some off-line correspondence (Thanks, Lars!) and the ICV is
the likely suspect.  My mechanic also concurs.

><<(the owner claimed that the air flow sensor is the same as the 3.0L
>  version.  True?)>>
>As far as I can tell, the 3L has a different AFM.

Ok.

How about the ICV?  Is it the same for the TS and the 3L?  I suspect this
was what the owner was referring to.

><<Throttle is sticky.  May need cable lube and/or change.>>
>I needed to change mine at 140,000 miles, and I do not recall this being
>mentioned to often on the digest.  I don't think it was expensive to do
>(don't quote me though).

I suspect it should not be too difficult too.

><<Planning to return to look at the service records, check dipstick and
>plugs>>
>If the service records do not show a car with a full history (unless the
>owner did the work himself) - walk away (IMHO).  There are always alfas that
>do have the full history.

This is the 2nd owner, mainly a chequebook mechanic.  He had a file (which I
overlooked), but it appears he does not have the service history from the 1st
owner.  May have to make a judgement call after consulting my mechanic
(am planning a visit to the local AA and then my mechanic for an
Alfa-specific inspection.

I agree with you regarding the need for the service history though.
Unfortunately over here, the ones with full service history are usually not
the ones on sale :-(

Cheers
Lawrence