header heat insulation

I did not get any response to a post several days ago, so here it goes
again.

I read all the posts about header wrappers, etc.  Nobody mentioned the
insulating sleeves that are sold in auto parts all over.  They don{t go on
tight so I don{t see a problem retaining moisture, but don{t know about
making the metal overheat and become more brittle.
so, I question
1 - do they work as promised.  Do they decrease the heat inside the engine
bay?
2 - are they safe for the headers?
3 - has anybody used them?

I just finished a home made aproach to insulate somehow my ABS pump from the
heat of the headers using corrugated cardboard with many layers of aluminum
tape.  The differential temp on both sides of the board is very significant
(to touch), but malfunction of the ABS pump occurred only once this summer
on heavy trafic, so I don't know if it will make any real difference aside
from a few degrees difference.  I will follow up on this.
Thanks
Jorge in Redlands
89 Milano/75 Verde looking for cooler times.