fresh air into the engine bay

A recent post mention increasing fresh/cool air into the engine bay, with a
response indication that more importantly getting hot air out of it is
necessary.
The 89 Milano Verde has a sheet of metal at each side of the radiator.
Aside from keeping road rocks and bugs out, do they have any other funtion?
It seems that they prevent a lot of air from getting in around the radiator
(cooler air).  I don't know if this is aerodynamically desireable, but the
sheets are perpendicular to the axis of the car movement anyway.  Also
supose that some of the wires behind could get too exposed to the elements.
How about an exit vent, though the hood/bonet or into the fender wells?
I think that the problem with hot engine bay air is worse with slow heavy
traffic, than racing at high speeds in the track.  How about a fan in front
of the a/c condenser?
Jorge
89 Milano/75 Verde