1750 GTV reborn

Greetings

Last weekend saw the first drive in 7 years of my 1970 1750 GTV.  I had r=
un
the car daily for about 4 years, but took it off the road in 1992 for som=
rust repairs.  They were relatively straightforward, but the work showed
the entire body to have been sprayed with 2-5mm of spray putty.  This bas=
was unstable, and had resulted in crazing of the top coat.  The entire ca=
needed to be sanded back, re-shaped and resprayed.  Fathering two childre=
n,
building a 50 m2 house extension, moving the length of Australia twice an=
house three times, and the need to earn a crust slowed the job somewhat.

Last year an ex-colleague expressed an interest in the car.  On being sho=
wn
a stripped out shell in Australian racing colours (primer and rust) and a
pile of parts, he agreed to pay cash up front on the promise I=92d spray =
it
the colour he wanted and re-build it as if I was going to retain the car.
All of the paint and putty came off.  Every corner had been mangled, so t=
he
car was re-shaped using epoxy.  Getting all those lines and curves right
took a lot of time and shaping.  I sprayed it BRG (Verde Inglese, thanks
John H).  I had the seats and dashboard re-covered.  I bought the correct
centre console (a 2 litre item had been fitted), repaired it and replaced
the veneers using new veneers glued to thin aluminium sheet, stained and
varnished.

A good second hand motor went in (the original Alfetta based unit has bee=
fitted to my Giulia TI), along with a re-conditioned gearbox.  I rebuilt
the steering box.  Every Burman box I=92ve had apart has had internal
corrosion causing serious pitting of the lower bearing cone of the main
steering shaft.  Getting that reground and reshimming the box eliminated
about 1/4 turn of slack.  I replaced all of the rear suspension rubber
bushes.  An electric cooling fan has been fitted.  For the thermo switch,=
liberated the fitting and switch from a scrap Alfetta radiator (thanks Le=
Scanlon).  I used a 22mm flat wood bit to drill the bottom tank, and
sweated it on using plumbers solder and a blow lamp, no problem.  Alfa ha=
ve
put a nice relieved segment in the front cross member right next to the
radiator outlet, expressly to accommodate this fitting I presume (thanks
Alfa). =20

I fitted a Pertronix electronic ignition system The Pertronix base plate
did need some relieving in order to achieve an air gap for the distributo=
module, but is a very neat installation.  It has cured the top end
raggedness endemic in these motors when running with now ancient and alwa=
ys
marginal kettering systems.

A lot of work went in to repairing the ravages of 30 years hacking of the
wiring harness.  Old modifications came out, crimp on connectors were
replaced and soldered, and worn wiring spliced and soldered in.  I use he=
at
shrink sleeving on repairs and to insulate connectors.  Relays were fitte=
to the headlight system.  The buyer is a young dude, and he supplied a
shit-kicking stereo for me to fit (I use car radios for filling holes in
dashboards, and listen to the Italian tenor for entertainment).  The powe=
supply for the boot mounted amp (like starter cable) was run via the A-C
pillars and roof, and the head unit signal along the sill to avoid
interference.

Fuel tank was cleaned with caustic solution, the clutch hydraulics
resleeved and the brakes flushed with new fluid.  Carbs were stripped and
cleaned.  Fuel lines replaced.

After priming the carbs, it started first pop.  Yee Ha.  Lots of blue smo=
ke
cleared eventually.  Unsticking the clutch (1st gear, clutch depressed,
4000 rpm on the clock, drop the jack), left four sets of very interesting
lines along the length of the garage floor and up the drive, as well as
confirming that the motor is a very good 1750.  More blue smoke 8*)  Old
fashioned looks from lady next door.

There are still some jobs to do on the doors, as well as some debugging,
but the car is now in the hands of a very happy young man.  He got a
thoroughly rebuilt car at a good price and in the colour he wanted.  The
car drives beautifully, running hard and with lovely light and precise
steering.  Both interior and exterior look great.  The cash covered the
cost of reconditioning the engine and gearbox for my Giulia, as well as t=
he
GTV costs.  I am pleased to have stuck with it and resurrected the car,
after all of the hassles of shipping Perth-Canberra-Perth.  I=92m glad to
have liberated the garage space.  I=92ve had to put up with plenty of hea=
(some jsutified) from my wife about a) old wrecks cluttering the place up
(mostly, but not always in reference to cars), b) weekends and evenings
spent on non-family activities, and c) cost.  Finishing has removed a maj=
or
source of irritation for her, but I=92m sure she=92ll be able to think of
another.  The job took a year.

I would particularly like to publicly acknowledge the help of Lee Scanlon
(an officer and a gentleman of this parish) who has unfailingly been
willing and able to raid his parts store for many of the obscure odds and
sods needed for the job.  Lee reads the digest, but can=92t post to it.
Mostly these bits have been given freely; hope you enjoyed those bottles =
of
red, Lee.  Finally, a general thank you to all of the many digest
contributors who over the years have greatly enhanced my knowledge and
appreciation of these cars.

Cheers
Mat