Re: alfa-digest V7 #924

alfa@domain.elided writes:

>Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 09:48:50 -0700
>From: Glenn Wasserman <glennwa@domain.elided>
>Subject: Installing new A/C belt?!?!?
>
>How do I get this thing on?? I've got the tensioner off, and the belt is
>barely too small to just fit over the pulleys. If I could turn the crank I
>could probably install it, but that aint' happening, no matter how hard I
>yank. I've tried hitting the clutch (holding it down) and even jacking the
>rear, so I give up there...
>
>It looks like I will have to move the compresser to get this thing on, but
>there are several bolts to move, I'm not sure which is the right one.
>
>Help!!!!
>
>Thanks,
>- -Glenn

If you are referring to a GTV6, try a Gates 7345.  It is a tad large but
slips on easier.  Get it over the crank as much as you can and turn the
engine by hand via the wrench on the camshaft sprocket to get it on
completely.  Can't recall but I think I wedged a butter knife between the
belt and the crank to help hold it in place while I turned the engine.