Looking for a Milano

I'm finally on the look out to buy my next Alfa.

I've set my heart on a Milano V6 (75) but good ones look increasingly
difficult to find in the UK.

I came across one recently and had a look and drive on Saturday last.
Initial impression over the phone was very good - one owner, full service
history (up to 4000 miles ago, in January this year) ten years old as you
would expect, 89,000 recorded miles, all positive stuff.

When I viewed the car, I had mixed emotions. The aforsaid made me think the
car had been well cared for, and in general I guess that was so. However, a
number of minor dings and dents, together with some roughness round the
edges took some of my enthusiasm away. A look under the bonnet revealed an
average picture, not abused, but not really fussed over either. Oil looked
OK, clean, but down to the min marker on the stick, and a cold engine.

I think I made my mind up when I drove it though. I ran a Twin Spark for
some time, so have an idea for what feels right, and have driven a friends
V6, and my own 164 V6. Engine was OK, but then I've never heard a sick V6!
What disturbed me was the brakes, which lacked bite and feel (just lack of
use?), and didn't inspire confidence at all. Don't remember them like that.
Also, there seemed to be a regular chorus of noise from the transmission
area. I remember having to have a gearbox rebuilt  (shims on the end of the
mainshaft?) so was a little dubious. Then, there's always the wheel
bearings. In the end I walked away, I don't want to start a new love afair,
and find I have fallen for a difficult mistress........

I would be interested in three things. War stories from fellow digesters
about experiences of buying secondhand, not so obvious things to check on
75's (like the sunroof, door catches etc) and anyone who has a top notch
example to sell in the UK (preferably in the South)

Please feel free to mail me off digest if you wish.

Ciao,

Ian