What's wrong with right hand drive?

Bryan Carter asks, 'What's wrong with right hand drive?'

Recently I mentioned to an email friend in Australia that I felt once
all 'driving' components on a car - steering, shifting, clutch (if any),
accelerator pedal, braking - became totally electronically controlled,
it should be only a matter of telling the computer to design a mirror
image dash (up to a point) and modify the wiring loom to accommodate
both left and right hand drive cars.

I agree that if a company is truly building a world car they're leaving
out a huge segment if they ignore right hand drive cars.

I'm embarrassed to ask but is Taiwan and mainland China right hand
drive? I assume they are.

Continuing with the world car theme, why can't all countries get
together and agree on safety and emissions standards? Yeah, I know,
easier said than done. Should Corvettes for instance suddenly become a
hot item in Japan it would be a (relatively) simple matter of running
off a batch of right handers.

I feel compelled to ask that if right hand drive is equal (or superior
as some suggest) why have the British in the past offered right hand
shift levers / mechanisms in some of their cars? Bentley and Riley come
to mind as two manufacturers who offered this 'deluxe' feature (complete
with notch in the right front side of the seat cushion).

Biba
Irwindale CA
http://www.AlfaCyberSite.com
(not quite a world site - yet)