GTV-6 smog adventure

This may be of some interest to California-spec V-6 owners, if so read on!
This morning I went out to get the GTV-6 smogged. The last time was in 1997.
No problems at all then. The car has probably been driven less than 7,000
miles since. I visit the same place I had the car tested before, a Unocal 76
station--the same one I used to work in when I was in high school long ago
(sniff, sniff) so it has some sentimental appeal. BTW, car is 1984 GTV-6 2.5
totally stock.

OK, so we hook everything up and run the test. It fails the emissions
portion. Technician gives me the option to abort the test rather than have
the readings forwarded via computer to the State--categorizing me as a gross
polluter. The allowable amount for hydrocarbon emissions is 150 parts per
million (ppm). My results were 186 ppm at 2499 rpm. With little else
available in the way of options, I opt for a second opinion and find a
small, independent shop a few blocks away. I told them I want to do a test
first (fearing the car will fail again). The results:

Hydrocarbons: 61 ppm at 2584 rpm

What? If this is true then I should be passing. We fire up the test for real
this
time. It is 11:38 am. At 11:53 the results are in:

Hydrocarbons: 151 ppm at 2476 rpm **FAIL**

Ugggh!  Just barely over the limit! What could be causing it to fluctuate so
much? Again we stop the test. I let the car sit for about 20 minutes in the
shade and we try it
again. 4th time turns out to be a charm. Time: 12:33 pm

Hydrocarbons: 135 ppm at 2309 rpm **PASS**

Geez, how sensitive is this equipment? Anyone else experience this variable
emissions problem? I guess I could probably use a valve adjustment at this
point!

Chris Robyn
El Cerrito, CA
(no longer a gross polluter)