Rules of the Road

Chris Piepers writes "If you vist the Alfa Romeo "museo storico" or just look
at pictures of old race cars you'll notice that all the two seaters were
RHdriven. (single seaters were mid-drive, if that's a word) For some reason
or another, all the "right-laned" countries, chose to climb a hill
counterclockwise, hence the need for RHD . . . so you could see were you're
going along that precipice."

Not just the two-seaters, but the four, five, six and seven seater Alfas too.
There may possibly have been an isolated car (before the 1900) with the
steering on the left, but I have never seen a picture of one.

It seems improbable that all the right-laned countries abjured going from
point A to point B when that entailed going uphill clockwise with the
precipice on the left, and the most photogenic Alpine passes were
switchbacks, left, right, left, right - and going uphill counterclockwise
requires coming back down clockwise, and vice-versa - so that seems an
unlikely explanation. As good as most, perhaps, but no better.

Legend, not necessarily convincing, has it that in days of yore the defensive
postures of armed horsemen (who were by definition members of the nobility)
dictated the rules of the road, and that with the age of revolutions the most
ardently egalitarian counties reversed them, doing away with the symbols of
privilege. Post-revolutionary France did govern most of Europe (but not
England) for a time, and the countries which in various ways emulated France
(like the revolutionary colonies in America) tended to follow the French
model while the countries over which England exercised hegemony followed the
British model. (My source for all that was the correspondence columns of "The
Autocar" in the forties, but I have never tried to build a case on it.)

John H.