New car (164 questions, advice needed)

The continuing saga for a new car.....

First, kudos to Colin Verrilli for his excellent 164 site.  Previously I
never had to visit it, but now that I have to, I understand the
all-round acclaim.

Secondly, I want to thank again all the suggestions I received via
e-mail.  You guys are really helpful.

Onto today's adventure.

Saw 3 Saabs (1 900, 2 9000), 1 Volvo 940 and a 164 2.0TS.  Wife didn't
like the look of the 900.  Not surprised, you either love it or hate it.
I'm quirky, so I didn't hate it.  In general, the local 9000s were way
overpriced and these 2 were no exception.  The Volvo 940 was very
spacious, relatively cheap, but time was pressing and we didn't have
time to take a test drive.

Tried the 164 in the afternoon.  Spacious, backseat takes 2 babyseats
and 1 adult.  Price a bit on the high side, but no serious bargaining
yet.  Note this is an 8 year old car (coincidentally, today is it's
(registration) birthday).

Performance:  Handling ok, not a tight as my 33 but acceptable.  Runs
cleanly almost up to redline, revlimiter cuts in about 300-500rpm short.
Gear box is surprisingly good, no crunch on all gears.  Acceleration
feels somewhat slower than my 33 (ok, so it's not a 3L engine :-) ), but
that may be perception.

The gearing is lower, so cruising is at a lower engine speed instead of
4Krpm.  I gess fuel consumption will be somewhat the same.  Torque below
3Krpm is very, very low.  Engine only comes alive above 4Krpm.  Then it
just wants to go :-)

Aftermarket exhaust has a _very_ loud resonance between 3K and 3.5Krpm.
Thereafter it gets quiet.

No signs of collision damage.  Didn't bring a magnet so couldn't really
check for Bondo.

There are so many buttons just to operate the a/c, its confusing! :-)
Ran it in auto mode, no clicking, cool air too.  Owner usually runs it
in auto mode too.  Touch wood.

Some problems:

1 Major problem:  The air flow sensor (MAF?) is sticky.  Occasionally
  when starting from cold (like today), it will make the engine run very
  lean, and die, unless you keep revving it.  Very embarrasing, when at
  the lights, the engine kept dying as I was turning.  Once you get it
  up to speed, it's ok.  Owner said that when it happens, let it sit for
  10-20min, then it will be ok.

  (From the 164 FAQ - thanks Colin - could it be the idle control valve?
   Problems with the air flow sensor seemed to be more of hesitation
   rather than engine dying.)

  Anyone seen this before?
  What is the cure (repair sensor, or replace)?
  It this a recurring problem?  ie design-related?

  (the owner claimed that the air flow sensor is the same as the 3.0L
  version.  True?)

Minor problems:
- - At hard turns, there is some "chuffing" sounds.  Signs of imminent
  power steering failure?
- - wing mirror motor is dead - miss the manual adjustment - less things
  to fail.
- - Electric seat height adjust dead.  Probably the motor or the switch.
  (that's why I prefer the mechanical method).
- - Rubber door seals are perishing.  Expected due to age.
- - Throttle is sticky.  May need cable lube and/or change.

I think I'll be getting the 164.  But before I do, would appreciate
pearls of wisdom from fellow 164 owners.

Planning to return to look at the service records, check dipstick and plugs
(forgot to do so today).

Cheers
Lawrence