Re: 105 Big Brake Conversion

>Lawrence.Gowin@domain.elided
>Subject: 105 Big Brake Conversion
>
>Has anyone fitted the dual-piston calipers from a 7 series BMW on
>their 105 series car?

We also have an interesting but very easy and effective mod on the
105-series, namely big BIG 4 pot callipers on the front brakes
that just bolt on. For this we get the ATE callipers from the
upper end 3 or 5 series BMW or off the 7 series. These come in two
variations, one type with one input line, and another with two
inputs. Any of these will do, all you have to do on the calliper
with two inputs is to use a T piece to split in single pipe on the
front brakes on the Alfa into two.

You will also have to split the calliper and remove the spacer, so
that the calliper will fit onto the solid disc of the Alfa, as
apposed to the wider ventilated disc off the BMW. You will also
find that you will have to use shorter bolts to hold the
calliper's two halves together, as the original ones will be too
long with the spacer removed.

UNFORTUNATELY this "BOLT-ON" modification will only work on the
later (possibly 1969 onwards) 105 series cars, i.e. those that
take the bigger front pad (ATE 112). On the cars with the
older/smaller callipers/pads, you will find that the hole spacing
of the callipers are too close together to take the ATE BMW
calliper.

Thanx to Malcolm VanColler

Read more here:

http://hem.passagen.se/veloce/MECH2.HTM#booster