alfa-digest V7 #916

Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided
>The Montreal is the only dry sump production car that I know. I am
sure there are a few more but why is it so few of them?<

Porsche 911's, Maserati Ghibli's and Quatroporte's use dry sump.

I suspect that these may be some of the reasons more cars don't
use dry sump oiling systems:

* Costs more to manufacture -- extra oil pump to scavenge oil,
   oil tank, plumbing.

* Reliability -- more things to fail -- pump, lines. =

* Would further confuse typical driver and gas station attendants,
  who wouldn't know how to check oil (usually with engine running).

* Increases oil fill requirement -- would make oil changes more
  expensive.  My 911 uses 10.6 qts to refill.

Paul Rollins
Vancouver, WA