Italian drivers

Talk about driving in Italy has taken me back to the early 70's when I
was based at Naples Capodochino Airport, flying carrier transports for
the Navy. Some Americans had trouble with Italian drivers, but most of
us figured out that driving their way was the safest bet. Actually, amid
the chaos of Neapolitan streets, there was a lot of logic and even
courtesy. The basic rule is - if you come to a red light and no one is
coming, why stop? The same with one way streets, no left turn signs,
etc.

I often drove the Amalfi Drive, and invariably an informal race would
result. Nose to tail, if you pull away, you win. If not, he does. It
only works if you've already seen the views.

Driving the Autostrada to Rome, my Fiat 128(all I could afford) would do
160kph flat out. All you would see in the mirror was a quick flash of
lights and an Alfa or Ferrari would zip by. But it was all very safe and
structured - stay right except to pass.

No I didn't bring back an Alfa - couldn't afford it. I was going to
bring back an old Ford Anglia that I bought for $80, but it was blown up
on New Years Eve, 1974. But that's another story.

Tony Bruno

1991 164S (16,000 miles)
And a bunch of British Stuff