Re: Alfas destroyed in movies

On Jul 27,  8:43pm, Charlie from Hollywood, CA  (appropriately!) wrote:

>> << I caught a few minutes of a movie called "Contempt" last
>  night, apparently a French-English film, which included a nice example of
> what I would guess was a Gulia or Giulietta Spider of 60's  >>

> Of course, one of the all-time classic films (and, films w/ Alfas!) from the
> novel by Moravia, this will keep you thinking for a week -- and not only
> about Bardot and her naked swim near Positano!  Worth seeing despite the sad
> ending (spoiler ahead ->) Bardot, Jack Palance, and his 2600 roadster auger
> in under a semi.

Was it a 2600?  There was a scene where you see a closeup of the rear end (of
the car I mean, not Bardot, there are a few closeups of her rear end too!) and
I thought I made out the chrome script reading "ALFA ROMEO 2000", but perhaps
the first zero was actually a six.  However, the front of the car most closely
resembles a Giulietta in the only book I have to hand at work, although the
book is a history of Alfa sedans/saloons and so contains few pictures of the
spiders.  I now have the movie on tape, so I will have to scan through it and
try to make a positive ID.  And yes, the car does meet a sorry end in this
film, although the damage did not look severe and could perhaps have been
faked.  Let's hope so, anyway.

Dave J.
1982 GTV-6

- --