Ignition switch disarmament

I'm trying to devise a clever, non-destructive way to permanently disable
the steering wheel lock fon the ignition switch for a US-model 105/115 car.
 The locking mechanism is a spring-loaded tang that pops out when you
remove the key from the slot.  The switch has a heavy armored case  that
isn't made to be opened.  I thought of grinding off the tang, but this
doesn't appeal too much: it's about 10 mm long and looks fairly hard.  This
is  the only idea I've come up with.   Any better ideas?

The reason for this strange exercise, if anyone wants to know, is that the
car is going to be raced under rules that require steering-wheel locks to
be eliminated.  Of course, it's possible to remove the switch completely
and replace it with a simple push-button, but I wanted to keep the original
look.

Thanks,
Dana Loomis