mud trap

Hi,
A couple of weeks back I was visiting a bodyshop that had worked on quite a
few Alfas, and the guy mentioned something about removing a panel in the
wheelwell (by undoing a few screws) to rinse out mud that gets trapped
inside the bottom of the front fenders, causing them to rust through.
This weekend I looked for anything that looked easy to unscrew, but couldn't
find anything. Has anybody heard of this? If it is possible, do I need to
replace any seals or undercoating after doing this? I'd really like to slow
down the rusting process if at all possible - my paint is still decent and
I'm not to the point where I want to do a bare metal repaint.
Thanks
Chris Keen
'77 spider
Los Altos, CA