trailing arm/spring removal

I want to replace the bushings in the rear trailing arms on my 90 spider.  How
difficult is this procedure?  My manual describes a procedure using a special
Alfa tool to release the rear springs.  I dont have this tool.  Is there
anything else or another procedure I can use to do this?  I have read
(casually) in past digests about the "threaded rod" procedure.  Can this work
on the rear springs?  If so, can someone describe it again, please.  Also,
once the trailing arms are off, how do I remove the bushings?  Do they just
pop out?  Wishful thinking I know!!

Thanks,
Rob Murphy
Coral SPrings, FL