Replacement of transmission bearing in early 164

Can someone let me know how to go about replacing the transmission bearing
in an early 164 manual gearbox. I have access to a full workshop and want to
know the easiest way to do this. Can it be done without removing the gearbox?
I can't go to an Alfa dealer/mechanic as early 164's were only sold as autos
here in Australia - this one has been imported later.

Thanks in advance

Jeff Harrison

Melbourne
Australia.