Re: Alfas destroyed in movies

Alright, alright, you guys are going to make me go back and review the
footage again. For the record, my list of Alfas in Film currently says
that it's "The Godfather, Pt. II", and all I say about the car is that
it's a 6C2500. Nobody's chiding anybody. This is just the usual banter
about Alfas in film that pops up every couple of months or so. ;=)

You'd be surprised what the props department can do with cardboard, paper
mache, and paint. ;=) Blowing up real cars tends to make a large mess, and
can get real people hurt. Blowing up a mockup is safer, and may be cheaper
if a real classic auto is involved. If YOU owned a 6C2500 of any flavor,
would YOU let a movie company blow it up? Even a fiberglass replica makes
a more realistic victim without sacrificing national treasures for art.
In a lot of movies, if you single-frame through the scene, the last frame
of the car before the explosion often reveals that there's no engine, fake
glass (candy glass made from sugar), and no passengers. I can almost always
spot the roll cage in stunt cars that go flying through the air, too.

Even the Ferrari that got nuked in Miami Vice was actually a Corvette
with a body kit. Ferrari of North America probably PAID them to blow up
the faux car so they could be in the credits as providing him a new one.