Crooked alignments AD #898

I concur with the methods described for getting alignment shops to do their
job correctly first time in. Similar methods work for other service work.
The fine art of complaining mildly in advance works wonders. Reputable
shops don't mind because they know you aren't talking about them. Lazy or
worse shops pay attention because they are in the business of making extra
money by doing shoddy work. The last thing they want is a guy like me who
comes back repeatedly to get them to do the $40 alignment right, big money
loser that. They also get the idea that I may not be back for repeat
servicing and nor will anyone I know, unless of course, they immediately
acknowledge responsibility and correct the fault. Anyone can make mistakes
(and in my experience it usually was "anyone"...but "me" that is, when you
ask who did it?).

I ask the shop to confirm, preferably on the work order, that a straight
steering wheel is part of the job, at the same time as I ask them to put
the before and after settings on the invoice so I have a record of
suspension settings to explain the weird tire wear. (That's how I learned
about the 164's propensity to chew up tires with its somewhat extreme
alignment specs for the front end).