Re: 164 Vibrations

About 5 weeks ago, I had my steering rack rebuilt, but due to illness I was
not able to drive the car until this week.  I found the steering was terrible
and to drive in a straight line meant having the steering wheel turned to the
left!  My dealer booked it in and 'fixed it'.  It was worse, so I went to a 4
wheel alignment place and had it checked out.  It was way way out.  This was
then put right.

Now I am beginning to get vibrations through the steering wheel and floor.  I
cannot drive 'through it' as it happens at all speeds.  It is a very fast
vibration, like an electronic toothbrush.  I have had all the wheels balanced
but to no effect.

The steering feels quite strange.  I find myself backing off for corners that
previously could be taken no problem.  On the motorway, anything over 70
feels like I am driving against horrible cross winds. My dealer does not know
what the cause of the problem is, but (they say) is not related to the
steering rack or their work.  Could they be right or what else could it be?
My car is no longer feels safe or is any fun to drive.

Steven
164 TS (1992)
Cumbria UK