Re: Alignment

Kevin Trent had written

>I had my 73 spider aligned last Sunday.  i used a new shop that was close
>and convenient and willing to work with me.  The alignment guy, who had
>never done an alfa,.....
>Here is the problem:   Although the car is set up correctly, the steering
>wheel is crooked.   I have had this problem before with other alignments
>done by technicians unfamiliar with the Alfa alignment technique, and I
>believe that the problem is caused by using an incorrect method to set the
>toe in  (correct??).

Kevin:

You are correct that the problem has to do with the toe in.  But, I would
disagree that there is anything at all unique about aligning an Alfa
(given that the shop has the correct specs, which you were wise
to carry along, because today, most shops probably don't have them
on hand).

105/115 series Alfas only provide adjustment for  toe-in and
caster.  Camber can only be adjusted with an aftermarket upper
link that has a threaded section grafted in - I assume your car
doesn't have these.  Given that only two dimensions can be fooled
with, it is hard to see why this shop spent TWO HOURS working
on your car.  That is a bit of a red flag!

Not having the steering wheel centered is a very common problem.
I guess most owners just don't care, because I have had this
occur on a wide range car makes/models, and from a wide
range of alignment shop quality levels (ie, the premium" places
screw it up as often as do Sears).  It's not a safety or tire wear
problem - it's just very annoying.

Yea, take the car back, and have them adjust the tie rod lengths
some more.  All they need to do is shorten/lengthen one of the
rods between the steering box arm and spindle, and lengthen/
shorten the corresponding rod on the opposite side by an
equal amount.  Note that usually you have to do this yourself
in order to get it perfect - just keep track of which direction,
and how much you have turned the two rods!

Good Luck!

Jay Mackro