RE: FIAT/DiamlerChrysler

	I would not take it as any kind of a given that even if FIAT did
merge/sell out/etc.. to or with DC that Alfa would return to the US market.
Previous Alfa dealer and customer service was dismal at best and left a bad
taste in everyone's mouth that lingers even today.  A reputation for poor
build quality also haunts the marque and is even tauted by many members of
this NG.  The American consumer has a long memory.  Right now Alfa appears
to be selling every car it can make, where is the US supply going to come
from?  Is there any excess capacity to support a US effort?  Competition
from the Germans and the Japanese would be vicious.  Where would Alfa fit in
the current Chrysler and MB ranges without taking sales away from another
marque?  Alfa's are very expensive cars, how many of us (even we true
believers) can really afford one?  I know that I can't.  Will any new US
Alfa presence support our old models?  ???????  The real deciding factor
will be if those in the boardroom think that they can make a good profit by
bringing Alfa back to the US market and not take an economic blood bath.  I
am not convinced.

	Jerry in Houston