ABS Sensors for 164

Subject:	ABS Sensors for 164

In Alfa Digest V7 #894 Dan Nicholes wrote:

>...They explained that the ABS sensors had been
>destroyed when changing the shocks and that these are commonly
>replaced when the shocks are changed.  They ordered the sensors-they
>say I need 4 -- but to date they have not arrived.  They are
>back-ordered to Italy.
>Question 1:  Is the replacement of the ABS sensor an expected part
>of replacing the rear shocks or did the mechanic not take care in
>removing them?
>Question 2:  Why do I need 4 for 2 wheels?
>Question 3:  Shouldn't these be available from some other source?
>Like from whoever makes the ABS? If so, does anyone have the part
>number?
>Question 4:  Is the replacement of these sensors a big deal for a
>checkbook mechanic like me? -- or something I should leave to the
>pros?

My opinion
Answer 1: replacement of shocks has nothing to do with ABS.

In july I replaced one rear shock on my 164 (adjustable one).
Nothing else was changed. ABS works fine. On the shock there is a
sensor for active suspension. The ABS sensor is located on the inner
side of the wheel that is only lowered a little while shock is being
changed.

Answer 2: To pay 4 times more. In 4 years I have changed 2 sensors,
one at a time, exactly the one that had failed. Tolerance in ABS unit
when checking inductive electricity at each wheel allows for replacing
single ABS sensor with a new one.

Answer 3: I am not sure. I only know that the sensor for Alfa 155 also
fits in 164 (I have it in the car).

Answer 4: Mechanically speaking replacing a sensor could seem to be
simple job (loosen one screw and join the connector), I was present at
replacing. However, it is an art - incorrect distance between the sensor
and the cogwheel passing by the sensor and inducting the electrical
current might result in malfunctioning of the system. I would not do it
myself. I consider it also as a matter of responsibility and warranty.
I go to professionals.

So my advice would be to request from the shop to rectify an error
they made at their expence (warranty for a job done). You may make a
concession that you will be satisfied when ABS will be working again no
matter how many sensors they replace (maybe only one).
"...They say I need 4..." Tell them you needed none - (if) all four were
working perfectly when you came to the shop.

Rajko Sabo, Slovenia
'90 164 QV Zender
'81 Renault 18 TL
e-mail: rajko.sabo@domain.elided