Gear Mods

Well, after installing my second gear lightened gearbox in one of my
personal Alfas (This time, the Verde) I believe I can speak about the
affects of the mods.

First of all, the Spider's gearbox *now with around 7K on it, still shifting
great - I just used a stock clutch with no modifications to it to avoid the
trade-off of increased wear.  The Spider the best shifting transmission that
I have ever used, except for the rather long throws compared to a Miata
(yes, I've tried one of them) box.  But that is part of the charm that is
left intact.  The thing that I miss with the lightened gears is the absence
of the doubleclutching.. But with a proper shifting car, what's the need?

With the Verde, the change isn't as dramatic YET.  It only has around 300
miles, so I'm taking it easy for now.   Again, a stock clutch (NEW) was put
in with no modifications to reduce the weight/inertia of the disk itself.

 And, yes the offer is still on for anyone in the general area of Seattle
for a test ride/drive of the modified gearboxes now that I have both types -
105/115 and 116.

Robert Allen
Oak Harbor, WA
72 Spider