Milano Tach

I'm new to the digest and this is my first submission so if this has already been beaten to death, my apologies.
I recently bought an 87 Milano gold over the internet and am trying to get it into daily driver status.  The radiator
is out being rodded now and I will tackle the rear brakes next (rebuilt calibers).  From reading the digest looks
like bleeding the brakes will be a real hoot.
The question I have concerns the tachometer.  It works but will only register to about 2000 rpm's.  I talked to
another Milano owner who had the same problem but didn't know how to fix.
Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Smith
Nashville, TN (2001)
86 Spider daily driver and autocrosser
87 Milano work in process