Intermittant turn signals

"Trimble" <trimblci@domain.elided> wrote:

>Four days ago, the turn signals on my '89 Spider Veloce went dead as a
>hammer. Yesterday, forgot hand signal, flipped the turn signal
>switch and the turn signal was working again. It's still working today.
>Anybody have any ideas what's going on here?

Mike:

Intermittant electrical problems are the hardest to diagnose - if it
ain't broke, you can't fix it.  But, rest assured, they WILL fail again.
Probably on that 50 mph 2 lane - where everyone travels 70 - when
you are turning left, and there's a cement truck behind you.

The weakest link in the chain of electrons is usually the fuse - was
Alfa still using those ridiculous pointy-ended fuses in 1989?  Those
things are a joke - eventually, the fuse corrodes, the holder loses
its spring, and you have an unreliable connection.  A bit of steel
wool, a bend to the holder, and it will work again (for a time).

You could do worse than locating the fuse that powers the turn
signals, and trying to clean up its connections.  Other than that,
just wait for it to die again, and then wiggle stuff until it revives.

Good Luck

Jay Mackro