'76 Spider waterpump to thermostat hose

Phil D. asks what the brass lump in the water pump to thermostat hose is and which way it faces, etc.

*******

To the best of my knowledge, it is for anti-cavitation purposes. That is, to slow the water pressure
down so that the pump does not end up pumping air. Trust me, I'm willing to learn from those who have
other ideas as to its purpose. The lump in the hose is nearest the thermostat. You should be able to
see the smooth side of the brass when it is facing up towards the thermostat.

I believe the hose is still available plain or with the brass piece in place. Should your hose still
be in good shape, use a heat gun to warm the hose and perhaps a little silicone grease and it will
eventually slide in.

My question is: I'm currently restoring a '73 Spider which lives in the desert. The owner ran it
without the thermostat, but the hose had the brass piece in place. I suggested to remove the brass
piece, but feel the thermostat must be in place so the engine will warm up as quickly as possible.

Does everyone (anyone) agree?

Biba
Irwindale CA