76 Spider Radiator hose question

Alfisti,

I've finally got around to having my radiator patched and am replacing all the hoses as well.
(Unfortunately i have been dealing with my wife's BMW cabriolet that was crunched by an
inattentive moving truck driver).

There is a short hose @ 8 inches long, that runs from the  thermostat housing to the water pump
body. inside is the old hose, nearest to the thermostat housing is what appears to be a pressure
valve of some sort. I didn't realize this until after i had cut the old hose off, and it fell out.

So now I'm left to wonder, which way does it face inside the hose?  One end is larger and the
other end has a spring loaded piece.  Also, it looks as though it is going to be a very tight fit
to get it into the hose.

Any suggestions or guidance. All comments greatly appreciated?

===

Phil  D
AROC 38653
76 Alfa Spider