Hot air

Ghaham Hilder is rightly skeptical of claims that routing cooler outside air
to the intake will produce power increases on the order of 13 percent.  He
summarizes the discussion to date and asks for any empirical evidence to
support claimed improvements.

Oddly, yesterday I was killing time at the magazine rack of the grocery
store and saw an article in the current issue of CarCraft magazine where
just such an experiment was conducted on their beater '68 Sattelite.  Along
with other low to no-buck mods they mounted a coffee can scoop under the
front bumper and ran a flexible four or five inch dryer vent tube straight
into the air cleaner.  Before and after runs with that modification alone at
the drag strip showed a measurable improvement of 0.13 seconds to just under
18 seconds ET. While ET is not a direct measurement of horsepower, and a
Detroit iron v-8 is not an Alfa, the modest seven-tenths of one percent
improvement jibes with my own experience better than some of the more
fantastical notions previously offered.

Given Ghaham's taste for measurment over speculation as in his excellent
along the same lines with Alfa engines.  I would actually be very surprized
indeed to see ten percent improvement but only a test can truly tell.

Bryan Shuler
Austin TX