Re: Bosch Woes

Hi Pat,

I was the originator of the question regarding what powers the cold
start valve.  I hope you can help me.

The car in question is a 1982 Spider 2L.  On the Alfa 4 cyl. Bosch FI
motors the Termo time switch is located in the intake manifold between
cylinders 3 & 4 not on the thermostat housing.  I think in your reply to
Godfrey you are referring to a V6 Alfa motor.

My original question deals with trying to find out what powers the cold
start valve or more specifically where do the volts originate from?

Which Relay?

I have the AROC Bosch Notes and it contains a story  where Fred DiMatteo
says the ECM does not control the cold start valve, the starter circuit
does.  Which in my case narrows it down to 2 relays.  But he does not
elaborate any further.  I tried to trace the wiring diagram.  I have the
Cardisk Cdrom for my car and also the Owners manual but neither of them
is specific enough to answer my question

On the spider there are two relays next to the ECM both dealing with the
FI system. As opposed to the large combo relay found on the V6 Cars.
One relay is your normal bosch size similar to the ones in the fuse box
and the other is just as wide but twice the length.  They are right next
to each other and I need to know which one controls the start circuit
and the cold start injector.

You make mention of testing continuity between the injector and thermo
time switch. Does a relay feed current directly to the termo time switch
and the thermo time switch regulates when the cold start injector
receives current??

I have written Fred about this but all I received was a message from him
saying 'Sorry can't read your reply?'.  If you know anything about this
start circuit and which relay controls the cold start valve and
thermo-time switch I would be most indebted to you.
Sorry for the long letter.

PS. I have your Alfa Bible book and it's great.

Thanks in Advance,
Ralph DeLauretis