More hot air

Morning all,

Regarding my query on how much HP difference might really be expected in a =
standard Alfa motor, when changing from hot air intake to cooler outside =
air, Scott wrote :
"Your assignment is to define the word "intercooler" as it applies to
automotive technology.  Give three examples where horsepower was
increased by a minimum of 13%, based on pre- and post-intercooler
factory ratings."

Well you've got me here!  I'm an electrical engineer, and only an amateur =
when it comes to automotive technology. I've heard the word "intercooler" =
but that's the sum total of my knowledge of the device. I don't know what =
they are, what they're claimed to achieve, or what they really do achieve =
in practice,  but I'm always ready to learn, especially if it'll shed some =
light on my query as above, so..... I'm all ears. One thing I do know, =
though, is that my standard Alfa motor as above doesn't have one!=20

And Scott wrote, re the cold-air power increase :
"Remember: Knowledge *is* power.  This particular lunch wasn't free,
somebody's engineering degree paid heavily for it. :-) "

On this, I think my point's been missed. My question of the free lunch was =
not about the rest of us obtaining free knowledge from someone else's =
study; no, it was about the reality of obtaining say 13 per cent HP =
increase in a standard Alfa motor when changing from hot to cold air =
intake.  That particular lunch really would be about as free as they get.  =
 But don't get me wrong here..... I haven't been saying that it doesn't =
happen; I've just been asking for some evidence. (Asking for evidence must =
be due to some strange ideas they instilled into us when we did our =
engineering degrees :-)

Evidence or not, the idea of cold air intake obviously stands to reason, =
and it's very easy to implement,  so naturally I plan to implement it on =
our GTV and Alfetta which don't currently have it (all the AlfaSuds =
already do).    But I still remain to be convinced that I'm going to see =
much more out of it than a feel-good factor.  I hope I can be convinced.

Regards again,
Graham Hilder,
N.Z.
(Alfasud, GTV, Alfetta GTV)